Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Help With Kohirabi

Old 07-31-2010, 07:38 AM

Default Help With Kohirabi

I don’t know if anyone can answer this question, but I’ll ask anyway. I’m growing Kohirabi, and I was wondering about light and nutrition. Kohirabi does not flower, so at looking at the nutrient schedule from GH, do I even use the “Flower” stage solution? Right not I am using “Advance Grow” solution. How do I know when to change solutions with this non-flowering vegetable, do I even need to change my bulb to hps? If so, how do I know, when to change the bulb? I know these are tough questions, but I don’t know where else to find the answers.

Phil

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7310002.jpg
Views:	735
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	863  

Last edited by hydro65; 07-31-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old 08-04-2010, 02:25 AM

I'm a bit confused about what nutrients your using, do you have a link so I can see exactly what it is that you are using?
Old 08-04-2010, 07:01 AM

Here is a the link.
http://www.generalhydroponics.com/ge...ainToWaste.pdf
Old 08-04-2010, 07:43 AM

So just to be 100% clear you are using General Hydroponics 3 part Flora series nutrients, and have all 3 parts (Gro, Micro and Bloom). And your wondering what the best mix is for non flowering plants (specifically Kohirabi if possible)?
Old 08-04-2010, 05:39 PM

Yes. As you can see from the chart, there is like seven or stages where you can mix up different solution, depending on what stage you plant is in. The Kohlrabi is showing signs of the vegetable forming. So would this be the same as bloom stage?
Old 08-04-2010, 08:38 PM

OK thanks think I have enough to go on now. Unfortunately I am not familiar with growing Kohirabi. I did however look it up, mainly because I was wondering how it grew vegetable without forming flowers first. From what I read it looks like Kohirabi is similar to a root vegetable, except they look like they form above ground. Also, it looks like Kohirabi is the same species as a wild cabbage plant. I believe, like lettuce plants, cabbage plant do bloom near the end of their life to reproduce.

I am familiar with the General hydroponics Flora series nutrients I use them myself. But I am a little conflicted as to the best mix for your plant. I find that equal amounts of each seems to work well in most cases until fruiting, then I increase the amount of Bloom I add. But for plants that I wont want to flower like lettuce, I cut back on the Bloom their entire life.

So I would likely use either a equal amount of each like about 10mL per gallon, or something like 10mL grow, 10mL micro and 5mL bloom because I wouldn't want it to rush to bloom at the end of the life cycle. I just noticed that link was for a drain to wast system, are you not running a recirculating system? If so I would probably cut back some on the mL per gallon, but keeping the proportions.

Now with all that said, I'm simply not familiar with growing Kohirabi. So what I would suggest is e-mail General Hydroponics tech support at tech@genhydro.com and ask them what they recommend for Kohirabi. I don't know if they will be familar with that plant, so I would also include this link so they can see the exactly what type of plant it is.

Kohlrabi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohlrabi

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 08-05-2010 at 06:40 AM.