Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Nutrients and Mediums

nuts to soon?(aero)

Old 03-17-2013, 01:27 PM

Default nuts to soon?(aero)

so i need some advise on if i given these plants nuts to soon (spinach,kale,beans)

pH: 6.1
ppm of nutes: 80
ratio: 5,9,4
Light cycle : 12hr(on)/12hr(off)
so i know that the ratio of nutes for this specific type of plants are incorrect. But im waiting on some different nutes so i can mix up a 2,1,1 ratio to favor the greens (spinach,kale). Is it possible that the Incorrect ratio at such a early stage would cause the roots to start to burn up like this, or is it just to early. For the first 2.5 weeks i ran 0ppm water with pH:6.0 an my roots were looking nice and fussy and white . Then i add a little bit of nutes and they turn brown and loose almost all there fussiness

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130317_103846.jpg
Views:	1451
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	2461   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130317_103942.jpg
Views:	1463
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	2462  
Old 03-19-2013, 06:45 AM

Hello growyourown,
Quote:
ratio: 5,9,4
What does this mean? Is it a three part nutrient and your mixing 5 parts of one, 9 parts of another, and 4 parts of another? Even if so, I couldn't tell you anything without knowing what brand and specific nutrients your using, and which parts are mixed in what proportions?

Quote:
so i know that the ratio of nutes for this specific type of plants are incorrect
How do you know this? How do you come to that conclusion? Do you have a nutrient manufactures chart that tells you that? If so why do you choose to mix your nutrients in a way that is incorrect with the manufactures directions?

It may just be a bad picture. But I don't see anything in the pictures that resembles discoloration. Keep in mind that most nutrients will tint the roots. But what is the water temp? How often do you wet the roots? Are you able to keep the roots that are hanging in mid air moist 24/7?
Old 03-24-2013, 01:11 AM

Quote:
What does this mean? Is it a three part nutrient and your mixing 5 parts of one, 9 parts of another, and 4 parts of another? Even if so, I couldn't tell you anything without knowing what brand and specific nutrients your using, and which parts are mixed in what proportions?
well i was referring to the n-p-k of the 1 part nutrients that i was using. The brand is humbolt oneness. I've ordered some general hydroponics 3 part nutrients that I'm currently using. I'm running 500-600ppm. Ph 6.5. (5ml per gallon of micro and grow.)

Quote:
How do you know this? How do you come to that conclusion? Do you have a nutrient manufactures chart that tells you that? If so why do you choose to mix your nutrients in a way that is incorrect with the manufactures directions?

It may just be a bad picture. But I don't see anything in the pictures that resembles discoloration. Keep in mind that most nutrients will tint the roots. But what is the water temp? How often do you wet the roots? Are you able to keep the roots that are hanging in mid air moist 24/7?
well from what i've found reading is that greens like spinach and kale like higher nitrogen, and potassium. A ratio more like 4-1-4 (n-p-k). water temp is 65-70F, right now the root chamber is on a mist cycle of 15s on 5 minutes off. i will be incorporating a few new things into the system to allow for a shorter on cycle to keep the roots from having big water droplets. I currently have 4 misters in the corners of each grow bed. i'll have 8 in each bed once i get some more parts in. hopefully i'll gets some better coverage with more misters and can lower my on cycle making my setup more off a true aeroponics setup.

i've got some more pictures there that are 6 days older than the pictures i previously posted.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130317_143455.jpg
Views:	1421
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	2463   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130323_141855.jpg
Views:	1303
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	2464   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130323_141828.jpg
Views:	1380