Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Nutrients and Mediums

Nutrient solution change during plant grow phase

Old 01-01-2014, 08:03 PM

Question Nutrient solution change during plant grow phase

Hi, I am getting started to grow my first tomatoes and I am using general hydroponic flora series nutrient solution. I am puzzled as how often do I have to change the nutrient solution? The flora series has a chart that list about four stages of plant development. Does that means that I have to completely change the nutrient solution during each plant phase?

Old 01-04-2014, 02:57 AM

Hello loths,
Generally speaking you should completely change your nutrient solution every one to three weeks. However there always variables to every situation. Things like the total water volume, how many plants you have in the system, how big they are, what type of plants they are, temperature and humidity etc. all play a part in how fast the plants deplete the nutrients in the nutrient solution. The chart showing how to mix the nutrients is just suggesting how to mix them for a balanced nutrient solution, each time you change them during that stage of growth.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:52 AM

Thanks GpsFrontier. I am going to grow tomatoes from a system I purchase from fast gardens HALO 6 PLANT. Is a miX of DWC and aeroponic. I gues a good parameter will be the ch age the nutrient solution at each stage of development from the tomato, around every 2-3 weeks.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:20 AM

I don't know how much water volume that system holds, or how much you have in it. But as a general example:

using 10 gallons of water for 2 tomato plants. With that water volume and considering starting with plants about 6 inches tall. You should easily be able to go 2-3 weeks possibly even 4 weeks depending on how fast they grow. But as the plants get bigger that will change drastically. By the time the plants get a few feet tall they will be drinking up that water volume. How fast depends on how healthy they are, how much good light they get, as well as temp and humidity. You will want to replace it with plain water to replace what they drink up daily.

So if given good growing conditions the plants could be 3 or 4 feet tall within 3 weeks. At witch time you will need to either start changing the water more often like one to two weeks, or increase the water volume to compensate. In another week or so the plants will probably be big enough that you will need to change the nutrient solution every week if still using a 10 gallon water volume. Within another couple weeks the plants could be taking up so much water and nutrients you will need to double the water volume and still need to change it weekly.

P.S. Tomato's are continuously fruiting plants. Meaning that they don't have a vegetate stage, and a fruiting stage. They do both at the same time. Lots of plants are the same way.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 01-04-2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:18 AM

I am similar to the OP. New to Hydroponics. I dont have roots from my plant in the water yet. A 5 gallon dwc with netpot built into the lid. Should my nut solution be touching or under the net pot? I am using hydroton as the media. Right now I have the bubler going full blast and the bottom of the basket it wet when pulled up, but not actually touching the water. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dwc tom.jpg
Views:	1505
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	2632  
Old 04-28-2014, 10:25 PM

Default nutrient. What do you do with it

Like to know. What. Dose Everyone do with there. Old nutrient ?