Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

My first ebb and flow

Old 12-31-2010, 03:26 PM

Default Hydroponic Lettuce Harvest from the Ebb and Flow System

YouTube - Indoor Hydroponic Lettuce Harvest from ebb and flow System 31 Dec 2010

Here is the latest video captured December 31st, 2010. I am really surprised at the nutrient consumption as I discuss in the vid. By the way, the salads were great with freshly shredded mozarella and some lemon basil.

Edit: Can someone help me "embed" this as opposed to posting the link? I have run through as much bb code as I could figure out. Thanks!

Old 01-01-2011, 03:54 AM

Hello halfway,
I think your doing very well. In fact I'm a little impressed that you pay so much attention to your plants, looking for color changes in the foliage etc.. THAT'S GREAT. I'm not surprised about the basil though, mine got to be about 2 feet tall, it must be hard to contain it to be that small. Great Job... (Good Eats)
Old 01-22-2011, 08:10 AM

Started flushing the ebb and flow with clean water yesterday. I see one more big lettuce harvest and I am scratching my head on what to do with the basil.

The lettuce will have run since around the 1st part of November. We have harvested for over 2 months now and it has been delicious.

I need to get the system cleaned out and ready for the next round. I will re-cap the 1st grow session in the blog and will post observations here as well.

This has been a great run and thanks again for all the input. It has really sped the "learning curve" and greatly contributed to the success!!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:17 AM

Default First Run Complete

The first run is now in the history books!!

Thanks for everyone's contribution. The learning curve would have been MUCH steeper without the great posts and comments on these boards.

I also posted the latest video on the blog as well as some commentary. YouTube - Update ebb and flow and DWC hydroponic system 29 Jan 11

I tore down the ebb and flow yesterday ending an incredible run for the Simpson lettuce and lemon basil. We estimated 60 full salads worth of lettuce and probably another 20 batches for sandwiches. The basil is loaded in the freezer and will be used for the next several weeks in stews and soups.

I ended up cleaning the system with 3/4 cup bleach per gallon of warm water. I noticed some "slime" on the inside lid of the reservoir and the intake/outflow tubes, but it was minimal and really the only thing that looked like it needed cleaning. I wiped down the big pieces and rinsed and soaked the small pieces and rinsed.

I soaked the silica stones in the bleach water, rinsed, and now letting dry to get rid of the small pieces of roots. I intend on thoroughly rinsing again in a few weeks after the root pieces have crumbled to dust.

Question, how do you guys clean your submersible pumps? I am hesitant to use bleach. Thanks in advance!
Old 01-31-2011, 02:49 AM

halfway
I just use soap and water, and a sponge with a scrubber on one side. I take it all apart and scrub each piece. Then rinse, and put back together again. For the filter I just usually just squirt some soap directly on it, work it in, then rinse it out. I do this with every nutrient change, and it only takes me 5 min to do. If you have not cleaned it yet, things may have built up and it may take longer though. You can also use any type of bristle brush to get into small areas. I don't use bleach at all on my pumps (just about everything else though).
Old 02-12-2011, 04:50 AM

P.S.
Although it's true that I just use soap and water, as well as a scrub brush/sponge to clean my pumps, and don't want to use bleach on the pumps. I see no reason you couldn't soak them in Hydrogen Peroxide (H202). It didn't occur to me to mention it because I haven't done that either. I just haven't felt a need to sanitize the pump itself because I wash them so frequently. But if I wanted to sanitize the pump itself, I would soak them in H202.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:10 PM

Thanks GF and good info about keeping bleach from the pump. This is the first cleaning as I did not see a need while it was in operation for those 3 months. A bit of slimy coating on the intake and return hoses, but it really had no color and cam right off. No evidence of algae at all.

I have used your techniques of h2o2 during the grow, and I believe it is a productive technique. Just a capful every 7-10 days and that is it.

Thanks!
Old 06-12-2011, 07:45 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfway View Post
Aquarium heaters. THAT is a great idea!
I'm planning on using stock tank heaters as I have some on hand.