Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Seedlings, how do I treat them?

Old 01-20-2011, 07:08 AM

Default Seedlings, how do I treat them?

Hi guys!

I've built my own Aerospring type system and now I'm waiting for my water pump to arrive. It's still caught in the mail somewhere. I've already started to get sprouting chilies, spinach and tomatoes so I am a bit stressed they will grow too big and need more room before i get my pump and can put the seedlings in my system.

Is there any way of "storing" the little ones while I wait for the pump to arrive?
I don't want to damage or inhibit the seedlings in any way.

Will repotting them into LECA and net pots work? then watering the whole lot a few times per day?

Should i keep them under light?

Old 01-28-2011, 12:28 PM

Hi, I pick up for free at the Hydroponic store a mag called Urban Garden. In there Nov/Dec issue they had a great Article that may help you. I went to there site and they have it on line as well...This is the article URL: Urban Garden Magazine | Seed Germination

Hope it helps
Simon
Old 01-28-2011, 04:46 PM

I have often just washed the dirt of plants to transplant into a growing medium for hydroponics. So just planting them in soil until they you are ready is an option. The only downside is that soil born pathogens can be introduced into your hydroponic system that way. Some plants are more susceptible to that than others, strawberry's are very susceptible to that for instance. But if it is only going to be about a week or so, I often just set the seedlings in coco coir, vermiculite or perlite and hand water with a diluted nutrient solution. About 1/4 strength every other day, then when the plants get a little bigger and stronger, I'll water with the 1/4 solution every day. Then when they get a little bigger, I'll step it up to 1/2 strength and so on.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:40 PM

Yeah I think I'll go for the handwatering in coco coir. They've just reached their first set of leaves so I don't think I'm in that big of rush. Hopefully the online company I ordered the pump from will get their head out of their *** and ship the pump already

For how long can i keep this state, just hand watering?
Old 01-31-2011, 08:04 PM

As long as you want, it's the same thing (as long as you have some nutrients in the water). Only you are using your hands as the pump.