Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics

Animal fodder

Old 03-24-2012, 11:27 AM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a
Default Animal fodder

Has anyone here grown sprouts? Specificly for animal fodder?

Old 03-24-2012, 11:03 PM

I don't have any experience in doing that, but I looked up some information for you. I can't say I have really read any of it yet though, but hopefully it helps you out.

Fantastic Fresh Fodder (by Dr. Lynette Morgan, 2011-09-01)
HYDROPONIC GREEN FORAGE

A few Videos, mostly of commercial fodder producing systems, but show a simple and expandable design structure.

Almighty Fodder Systems - how the system works
Fodder Solutions
Transworldfoods.flv (what particularity interested me was the introduction of UV light to control bacteria and fungi)
DIY Fodder System 5.0 Pt. 1
DIY Fodder Pt. 2
Fodder Growing System for dairy goats at New Forest Farm (I can easily see something like this being used with removable trays for easy rotation and cleaning)
Barley sprout superfood for livestock

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 10-15-2012 at 01:15 AM.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:17 AM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

I am attempting to grow fodder to replace hay and grain during the winter months for my 17 year old sheep and to provide some "salad" for a few chickens. She has a delicate tummy and is not tolerant of certian foods. I would like to hear from people that have done this to learn from their trial and error, how to avoid costly mistakes like mold and how much one sheep should or could eat per day.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:30 PM

Finely found something that might work....

My Blog
Old 06-05-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
I don't have any experience in doing that, but I looked up some information for you. I can't say I have really read any of it yet though, but hopefully it helps you out.

Fantastic Fresh Fodder (by Dr. Lynette Morgan, 2011-09-01)
HYDROPONIC GREEN FORAGE

A few Videos, mostly of commercial fodder producing systems, but show a simple and expandable design structure.

Almighty Fodder Systems - how the system works
Fodder Solutions
Transworldfoods.flv (what particularity interested me was the introduction of UV light to control bacteria and fungi)
DIY Fodder System 5.0 Pt. 1
DIY Fodder Pt. 2
Fodder Growing System for dairy goats at New Forest Farm (I can easily see something like this being used with removable trays for easy rotation and cleaning)
Barley sprout superfood for livestock
Wow! These are great resource. I'm looking on these links now and I must say that they contain lot of valuable information. Thanks for sharing these links.
Old 09-28-2012, 05:54 AM

Well my sheep died, she was 16. I still plan on playing around with this concept this winter for my three chickens.
Old 09-28-2012, 04:24 PM

Sorry to hear about the sheep. I don't know how long they typically live, but it sounds like she lived a good long life at 16 years. It will be interesting to see a animal fodder system producing feed.