Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Grow Lights

Flourescent lights

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-28-2011, 09:59 PM

Default Flourescent lights

I was doing some research on fluorescent lights the past few days and felt I should share some of it.

This is my first post on the Forum BTW, So hello to all. lol

I am new to hydroponics and spend a lot of time researching on ways to do things to try to get as much information as I can on the subject.

This is something some might know already and this is not a direct reply to anyone specifically. It is just a knowledge find I felt would be useful to some to share.

People often use 3 "flavors" of fluorescents.

From what I have seen.

My research on what I the plants need for their growth is that 5000K lights, while sufficient, are not optimal for plant growth. They lack most of the light that Chlorophyll A requires and barely touches part of what it needs.

6500K is a preferable "temp" for the vegetative growth of the plants, as it covers more of the spectrum of the plants photosynthesis.

2700k Is still fine for flowering and "fruiting".

I have seen people say they are using 8000K lights. Those are way overpriced and don't contribute much to the plant more than 6500k lights from what studies have shown as the wavelengths that plants use.

I hope this was informative to some, and will be useful to anyone wanting a little bit of information on Fluorescent light "temps".

I tried to format it in a way that would be good for some of the active members as well. *Waves at GPS* I have probably read about 1/4 of the forum before posting my first post lol.

Last edited by jamromhem; 07-28-2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Spell Check