Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Curling tomato leaves

Old 03-21-2011, 11:17 PM

Curling is a common problem under led lights. But our last grow of tomatoes didn't experience any. Even with varieties that we had tried before.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProZachJ View Post
Curling is a common problem under led lights. But our last grow of tomatoes didn't experience any. Even with varieties that we had tried before.
The thing with my plants are that only one DWC setup is showing curling. The other side is perfect.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:27 PM

I did one pepper crop where some plants curled and some didn't in the same system with the same light. From that point on I have assumed it was some genetic predisposition to behave that way under LED. I have started to try find varieties that don't curl but then I was really thrown for a loop when the little mamas that I had tried to grow numerous times where just fine the last time.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProZachJ View Post
I did one pepper crop where some plants curled and some didn't in the same system with the same light. From that point on I have assumed it was some genetic predisposition to behave that way under LED. I have started to try find varieties that don't curl.
Thats interesting. I've also read some information that seeds prepared in the same area where tobacco has been handled get a virus as well. Is that true? I've tried to get seeds that don't go through a huge manufacturing area but who knows.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:54 PM

I don't think that physiological leaf curl looks the same as tobacco mosaic. Sometimes my plants with curl produce fruit just fine. I think TMV negatively affects fruiting.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:14 PM

If the leaf curling is common and not something to worry about, I will be relieved. I went ahead and got Micro today and changed out the reservoirs with fresh water and the proper nutrients now. I did a light nutrient mix so that maybe they will get better in the next few days.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:18 PM

Hi everyone, I have been following this discussion with interest. At times I have had the same things happen to my tomato plants. For me, it has been strictly a nutrient issue when my leaves curled. I am mixing about three tablespoons per gallon.

On another note when my water temperatures got beyond 75°that caused a problems as well.

Just my 2¢