Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Grow Lights

UFO LED light results

Old 10-22-2010, 10:42 AM

Default UFO LED light results

Can someone post the results of a UFO led system they have purchased?

Misleading or deceptive advertising really clouds the basics needing when comparing costs, country of origin, lifespan, customer support etc.

USA vs. China/Asian companies, etc.

Please post results of growth. company and the price you paid if you don't mind.

I know I'm asking a lot, but I think this is the system that fits my needs, I just need some help with the questions above and have scanned all the posts on this board. The other option is a 4x48 T5 HO or VHO with both red and green. Price is $159, but requires new bulbs each year.
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by halfway; 10-23-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:55 AM

Default led lighting

Hey halfway,
I also have been researching led lighting and have found several
Sites on leds the most informed site is ( Experiments with Hydroponics, aeroponics, and LED Grow Lighting ) Where they are testing leds in hydroponic applications it seems lke a very informative site.
I have also looked into diy led gfow lights and have found several cheaper alternative solutions to cheaper led grow lights. Hope that the link helps
Old 03-11-2011, 03:19 PM

Greenpinelane is a great site for information, however the lack of double-blind experiments is disappointing. They do have entertaining and informative test grows of crops, however.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:31 PM

I am using a 90W UFO LED light on some tomato plants. I'm at about week 3 and there is great growth, I'll post some pictures. I'm hesitant to state its a success because im still so early on into it but the plant and root growth are quite impressive to me at this moment. The plants are bright green.

I have another post about leave curling but that I believe is a problem on my part and not the light.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:43 PM

I have grown with several types of LED and T5 HO. The LEDs definitely have more ability to flower the plant and produce fruit, but coverage is a real issue. You need the LEDs to be very close to the plants. For UFOs 6-8 inches max. So for a 4x4 grow-room to really produce you are going to need 4 maybe even 6 UFOs depending on what you are growing. 2 will work for herbs and greens, but if you are trying to grow real veggies it's not enough.
The 345W Panel that I have is an extraordinarily powerful light but only covers about 3x3 when put the proper height from the plants.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markuskemy View Post
The lights can and will provide a thick vegetative growth with prolific flowering.LED grow light is suitable for all phases of plant growth and also works well if you grow in hydroponics or soil.
I have noticed that LED really seems to supercharge hydroponics, where soil tends to lag behind.
Old 06-23-2011, 09:04 AM

I like the led color but the cost is very high. has any one here built their own LED light system? I am thinking I might try just to try.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:54 AM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

I saw a couple of videos on youtube. I also read (i think, maybe a how to video) on how to use led christmas lights that were red and another color (orange or purple?) that were poked thru some thin stryofoam. They claimed it worked I wouldn't think it would produce enought light (lumes?) but maybe if it was supplementing some other light? Anyway I saw them when I was actually reasearching the different systems and lighting was still way down on my list to check out. Hope this helps...
Old 06-26-2011, 12:22 AM

I have some high bay 6 bulb fixtures with chrome reflectors. I am modifying the fixture buy adding red LED lights in-between the light bulbs. I am trying to decide if one an inch or one every 1/2 inch would be better. then I am going to mount the power supply in the ballast compartment and add another cord for the LED or maybe just a toggle switch to turn them on.

For those of you that use LED fixtures how far apart are the LED bulbs? and can you give me a bulb count and the fixture wattage? That way I can determine the bulb size.
Old 06-26-2011, 02:40 AM

It is my understanding that not just any LED will do, they need to be a high output LED's. I also understand they aren't exactly cheep at something like $3 to $5 for 1 high output LED. Also just like florescent lights, the usable light (intensity) they put out drops much faster than HID lighting. So they need to be at close range to be useful. My guess is you will need hundreds of them to see much of anything in the way of improved growth (especially for anything larger than lettuce).
Old 06-26-2011, 07:39 PM

I have been looking at products and see why LED is so expensive..wow the component prices are not cheap. But should be able to build better LED light for about the same money. I just might buy one for experimenting with.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:11 AM

I am using right now, 1500 watts of hoT5. I have on order 2 LED units ( 240 watt power imput ) UFO systems coming and will be installed on Jan 4th. I will be moving to a Ebb and Flow system around the same time. I can post photos of them and my setup once it is all installed!