Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Root Rot

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2010, 04:56 PM

Default Root Rot

Has anyone experienced the dreaded root rot (pythia)?
My aeroponice system is outdoors. when I first set it up with plants they wilted a little. I was expecting this as the plants adjusted to the hydro system. then they took off like crazy. A heat wave came through and the hydro reservoir got around 90 degrees f, and the hydro solution got foamy. I changed the solution and the plants didn't seem to mind. then they started wilting badly. I checked the roots and they were all grey/brown and soft. they eventually all died.
I checked online and found that it was probably root rot. so I cleaned the system with bleach rinsed it out with reverse osmosis water. replanted and tried again. within 3 weeks I had root rot again. as I've been reading it is nearly impossible to get rid of once it gets into your system.
The only hope I have is that I read that some beneficial microbials will keep root rot at bay.
Has anyone encountered this scourge and had any luck getting past it? with or without microbials. If so, please save me!

Kleeem