View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
On the other hand it's extremely frustrating because now all I want to do is tear down everything I've done so far and start over! LOL.
Even if you do start all over, a few months later you will probably want to start over again. Like a kid in a candy store, no matter how good the piece of candy you have is there always seems to be a better piece in the next jar. That's fine if you can afford the whole candy store. The feeling like starting over only means that you have learned quite a bit about how hydroponic systems work, and you see improvements you could make. Great things to keep in mind for the next system. Although for me there never seems to be an end to improvements I can make, in my quest for function and low cost hydroponic systems. I have plans to build about 15 different hydroponic systems, and have no doubt that I would be able to make improvements to everyone of them in a few months of watching them work (even designs I've already done).

Even though it's not what I am likely to do, starting out on a small scale to learn from it is the best thing to do. Nobody wants to spend a lot of money to build a large scale operation just to find out all the the things they need to do to get it to work the way they thought it would. If I had the money I would spend every hour of every day building and running hydroponic systems, as well as learning from it all for the next systems. The hard part for me is the funds, deciding what I can do within the funds I have. The frustrating part is not having the funds to do all I want to do.

I like watercatwn6535nd setup and am most interested in the lighting, although I would have a couple of concerns about it. Like the setup would work well for tall plants, I would want it adjustable for plants that grow wider than tall. Also, with so many lights (and from another post I believe they are over driven lights) I would be concerned with the cost to run them. Things I would want to look into before I built something like it, or I may be wanting to start over myself. I believe I could grow that many plants indoors using no electricity, just the cost of setting it up. The growtronix system looks like a great system, but not necessary unless you have a large operation to control. Just the base unit alone runs about a grand, and with the extra sensors and controllers you could easily be up to 2 grand. I can build the small scale hydroponics farm I want with 2 grand.

The hydroponic system the plants are in themselves looks to be a store bought system (although I could be wrong) and although it looks to work fine I have a few concerns there also. Some of it just may not be covered in the video, but I have some concerns about the root zone with the combination growing medium and dangling roots. As well as the single spout water delivery to the plants. Also some of those plants would get way to big for the system unless they were small variety's like the tomato's. I would easily be able to build something quite similar myself, but I would probably make some changes to it, and how it functions.