Thread: Local Fair
View Single Post
Old 02-09-2012, 03:32 AM

Hello Tracy,
"Water Culture" is only one type of hydroponic system. There are 6 types (Water Culture, Drip, NFT, aeroponic, Ebb & Flow (also called flood and drain), and Wick) Some people refer to a Water Culture system as a blubber system, or DWC (short for deep water culture). But the term "Water culture" is only referring to one type of hydroponic system.

It sounds like your son will be able to help you with a website, probably better than I could. Although I have been using computers for more than 15 years, and have had websites for about 5 years now. I have never taken any computer classes in school at all. I never even took typing.

I'm not familiar with charter web hosting, though that wouldn't be unusual. There are literately thousands of company's that provide web hosting. I did a quick search for charter websites and am not sure if this is it: Charter. I didn't try looking to see if they do web hosting, and what packages they offer in case that wasn't it. I am guessing that one offered a free website it wouldn't be a dedicated website, but likely rather a sub domain like how Facebook works. The easiest way to tell is the web address (URL). If the web address is something like this "www.charter.com/websitename" then it's a sub-domain. If it reads like "www.websitename.com" then it's a dedicated website. Everything after the .com is a sub-page of the website name that's before the .com. If I'm not mistaken, any free web hosting is probably going to be a sub-domain.

You can use any form of webpage that you want, and whatever is easiest for you. Especially now that you have so much going on, and probably dont need something else on to do on your plate. Then when you do get time, switch over to a dedicated site then. The biggest problem with that is links bookmarked will still go to the old page, but you can create a message there saying the website has moved, and leave a link to the new site. After a few months most people will have probably found the new site.

"20MG of space " Do you mean 20 GB or 20 MB? I haven't seen MG used as a space size before. 20 GB (GigaBytes) should be plenty for starting out. 20 MB (MegaBytes) wont hold many pictures unless you re-size them small. As an example my free Yahoo e-mail account allows me to send 25 MB of attachments in each e-mail. Less than that for a website is quite low. But you could use it as a starting point for now, though you will probably quickly out grow it. I did a quick search for "Free Web Hosting" and quickly found this www.wix.com/, They say "Unlimited Pages and Unlimited Bandwidth Free Web Hosting

Though I would personally want to start with a dedicated website, even if it were only one page until I had time to add more and update it. I'd for sure want the standard "About Us page" as well as "contact us" pages. Then I would want other pages to fallow like Current Club News, Articles, Members list, meeting Information, Pictures, What's new in hydroponics (general news story's), Hydroponic information, Useful Links etc. etc.. Anyhow you can start real simple, and get quite elaborate if you want.

Using photos you find on the web can be complicated. I'm no lawyer but as far as I know if there is no copyright, you should be able to use it. But finding out if a picture is copy protected can be imposable. You may find the same picture on dozens of websites, but they may not be the owner. Pictures from .edu (educational websites) aren't copy protected as a general rule, however occasionally the educational institution may pay for the rights to post some pics to illustrate things better. Same goes for .gov websites.

I have done many searches for different hydroponic systems using different keywords, and with the search engines image function. I save many of them in folders on my computer, but if it says this picture may be copy protected I rarely save it. I'll never remember later when I want to use it if it said that. Bottom line I just try not to use pictures I think may be copy protected, but it's my understanding if I somehow did and the original owner had a problem. I would receive a cease and desist request to take it off the website, and that would be easy enough to do. However if you were selling the pictures, or using them in something you were selling, they could probably sue for damages. I don't sell anything on the hydroponics website, and for the GPS website I used to have, I used images from Garmins website which I'm sure were copy protected, but as a dealer for them I cant see them having a problem with me using their pictures to sell products for them. To date I have never had any issues/problems about the pictures/images I have used. But again I'm not a lawyer.