View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by granth View Post
the clear tubing will be covered with black plastic sheathing like one would cover wires with, it is just not pictured. I got this tubing from lowes. The containers are all HDPE2 recyclable yet still food grade. I use these to make Mead, or "honey wine" in, so I was sure they are food grade. I have two 120 gph pond pumps as well and a 2 head air pump with 2 air stones to match. Is there a benefit to the drip over the ebb/flow? or vice/verca?

In addition, on a few of the "illegal" hydro sites they find that crushed lava rock once rinsed and washed well is just find for potting material so I plan on using that.
I'm glad you've already thought of the ideas I had.

Lava rock works great. It's inexpensive and available in almost every town.

You'll need to put it into a tub outside and rinse it very, very well. It's full of tiny particulate and dust. Both the dust and the particulate will foul your pumps and shorten their life span.

In a comparison between Drip method and ebb and flow, (Fill and Drain), the Ebb and Flow wins hands down. Both are good, but the only hydroponic system to beat out Ebb and Flow is aeroponics.

There's lots of reasons for this and I'd be glad to expound on it if you like.

The book I suggested in another thread here is an extremely good idea for everyone who is into hydroponic gardening. It's so good and packed with such valuable information that I can't go on enough about it.

Yes, it's expensive. About $45 bucks, but worth it. It's a book you'll go back to for information a thousand times while using hydroponics.

It has great information about both Drip and Ebb and Flow systems in it.

Please, do yourself a favor and buy that book. You'll love yourself for it.

Last edited by NorEastFla; 10-18-2010 at 01:11 AM.