View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 06:01 AM

I will be testing the polyester in the future, price wise it's cheep enough. But I wont be trying to reuse it. Unless all the old roots are completely disposed of, they'll just decay and be food for pathogens. It's too much trouble to try and clean, and too much risk of pathogens for me. The price makes it easily disposable, though it wont be able to go in the compost pile.

The pictures aren't to scale. The greenhouse will be 10x20 (200 square feet), any larger and I would need permits. The 3 layer hydroponic system will be 3 feet wide and run the inside circumference of the greenhouse. I will be growing "live fresh Herbs" and be selling them when they reach about 9-10 inches tall. Ironically my mom just bought one from the only store selling them yesterday (my only competition), so I took pictures of it.

With the plant spacing of 3 inches apart (and 2 1/2 inch pots), I worked out that each level should hold about 900 plants. However that dosen't take into account details like spacing between sections, and around edges. So I expect to get a little under that as an actual number, though I will need to actually need to build it before I can get an exact number. The total amount of plants in all 3 levels will be about 2,700, and I will have a separate propagation area. Most likely underneath the bottom level, but possibly on multi-level rolling carts. I haven't worked out how many plants it would hold if I was growing lettuce, but the spacing would defiantly be farther apart.

The plan is/was to sell 1/4 of them weekly (675 plants) in rotation. However, I have revised my plan (although it wont be in the business plan), and most likely be able to turn out 900 plants a week in rotation. That's 225 more a week than originally planed, and a total of 3600 a month.. It will be more labor intensive, but result in much more money (25% more money) for the extra few hours work (I may even hire a friend to help with that part). I will probably change the spacing for the bottom level closer together to fit 1800 plants. Sell the 900 plants on the top level, rotate the second level up. and transfer 900 plants from the bottom level to the middle level. Of course then transfer 900 seedlings up to the first level from the propagation area, and then I'll need to start some new ones.

Even going with the lower figure of 2,700 total plants, and selling 675 each week my projected profits are quite good to me. Without going into a lot of detail about my plan to sell them through store owners, as well as directly myself at the farmers market etc.. Or breaking down all the operating expenses, here's an example of my projected sales/profits from the one 200 square foot greenhouse.

Projected Monthly Gross Profit
Spring, winter, & fall Estimate
Direct customer sales......(based on average estimate of 250 sold weekly)................$2,000
Vendor sales.......(based on average estimate of 425 sold weekly)...........................$2,040
Total............................................. ....$4,040

Summer Estimate
(assumes no direct sales were made)
Vendor sales.......(based on average estimate of 675 sold weekly).............................$3,240
Total............................................. .....$3,240

Projected Monthly Expenses
Direct monthly expenses.......................................... .......................................$650.90
Indirect monthly expenses.......................................... ....................................$265
Total......................................$915.90

Summer Estimate
Direct monthly expenses.......................................... ..........................................$710.90
Indirect monthly expenses.......................................... .......................................$105
Total......................................$815.90

Projected Monthly Net Profit
Monthly Gross Profit............................................ ........................................$4,040
Monthly expenses.......................................... ...........................................$915.90
Net Total......................................$3,124. 10

Summer Estimate
Monthly Gross Profit............................................ .....................................$3,240
Monthly expenses.......................................... .........................................$815.90
Net Total......................................$2,424. 41

Projected Monthly Net Income
Total............................................. .......................................$3,124.10

Summer Estimate
Total............................................. ........................................$2,424.4

Projected Yearly Gross Profit
Spring, winter, & fall Estimate.......................................... .....................$28,280
Summer Estimate.......................................... .......................................$16,200
Total yearly gross estimate.......................$44,480

Projected Yearly Expenses
Spring, winter, & fall Estimate.......................................... ..................$6,411.30
Summer Estimate.......................................... ............................$4,079.50
Total yearly expense estimate.......................$10,490.80

Projected Yearly Net Profit
Total yearly gross estimate.......................................... ....................$44,480
Total yearly expense estimate.......................................... ....................$10,490.80
Total projected yearly net profit..............................$33,989.20

I still need to verify that there's no tax, but I don't think there is on any unprocessed food product. And I'm waiting on a information packet that should arrive any day from the Arizona Department of Agriculture about regulations, and licensing. But I don't expect any surprises. I know there is a $200 a year license fee, but don't think there are any other fees (as long as I only sell in AZ). Also I plan to show the build, as well as share the progress with the forum (once I have the start up funds and can begin construction).

P.S.
If anyone is interested I do my drawings with Google Sketchup, it's a free 3D drawing program.
Attached Images

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 08-11-2011 at 06:27 AM.