View Single Post
Old 06-28-2014, 06:24 AM

Hello Remembering,
I would never suggest spending money when you don't need to. However pH test drops, and pH up and down don't cost much at all. But as Stan mentions, pH is important. I understand you have been growing in soil for a long time, but there are a lot of variables in soil conditions that you don't have in hydroponics. Also even though plants are resilient and adaptable, the science clearly shows that plants absorb nutrients best within a specific pH range (regardless). pH conditions outside of that rage can lead to nutrient deficiencies, even when the nutrient solution isn't lacking anything.

It's up to you, but if you don't want to check the pH in your hydroponic systems, you don't have to. But we won't be able to help you much when you can't give us the basic information. It's just a mater of time before you start having problems, and one of the first questions will be, what is the pH?. If we don't know the answer, we don't know if it could be pH related or not. It's that simple. So what's the point in replying when the person can't (or wont) give the vital information needed?

Quote:
some times I even fill the buckets with just plain water with no nutrients
How often do you change your nutrient solution? You should always be replacing the used water with just plain water. Except maybe once a week. But when the plant is drinking that much water, and you have that small of a reservoir, you should be changing the nutrient solution weekly anyway.

Quote:
It was the cheapest start though
Not if you build your own hydroponic systems. Even if you wanted to use the same parts you bought, simply redesigning it would be much better. The size of the buckets isn't the issue, the type of hydroponic system it is, is. As well as the maintenance of each bucket because of it, like the water used daily (that will quickly increase). A simple drip system (designed correctly) with a separate (central) reservoir would solve those issues and still provide enough root space.

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 06-28-2014 at 06:54 AM.