Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Multi-bucket top feed idea?


 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #1  
Old 10-23-2018, 09:53 AM
Vertigo Vertigo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 4
Default Multi-bucket top feed idea?

So the last time (my first time) I did a hydroponic system build, I did dutch buckets, and had a lot of extra parts left over - I bought a lot of things I didn't need, but now I'm trying to throw together something with what I have on hand for a friend to grow a tomato plant in her basement, and I wanted to run the idea by some experienced growers to see if my idea holds water (stop me if you've heard that one.)

So I have a couple 5 gallon buckets and lids, a spare pond pump, a whole lot of tubing, and a 6" net pot bucket lid for a 5 gallon bucket. My first thought was just a standard DWC bucket, but I want to make it easier to get at the solution for keeping an eye on PH or draining it, whatever. So I'd like to add a second bucket, but then I just don't feel like having to keep two buckets that full all the time - the water source is really bad well water and the RO system is super slow so it can take ages just to fill my 5 gallon jug.

So I was thinking of connecting the two buckets at the base with 1/2" tubing and keeping the buckets about half full each (5 gallons total nutrient solution) and using the pump to run 1/4" irrigation tubing up to the top of the net pot for top feeding. I may even put an air stone in the bucket with the plant, because I found an old aquarium pump in one of my boxes. I don't know if the air is really necessary if the solution isn't reaching all the way up to the base of the plant, but why not. I figure at some point the roots are going to get long enough to submerge in the solution like a normal DWC.

Any critiques on this idea? With a net pot, can I run the pump at a trickle 24/7 or should I have it on a timer? Should I just fill the plant's whole bucket with perlite or hydroton like a giant dutch bucket? It'll try to float, but with the net pot lid it won't be going anywhere.


Last edited by Vertigo; 10-23-2018 at 09:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.