Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup

My first Hydroponic attempts


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-11-2009, 05:41 AM
GpsFrontier GpsFrontier is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lake Havasu AZ.
Posts: 1,855
Default

Plants look good. I always like to see home made systems because if you understand the functions of what makes them work they are so easy to build yourself, for much less money. I just finished a 4 plant drip system for some large plants that cost $40 plus the growing media $10 (pump I already had). I will post pics later this week in this forum.

Quote:
Also on one day I had to turn on the pump without a break because the plants were dying in the 15 min interval.
Sounds like you live in Arizona where I live, if so just wait tell summer (June-September) .

__________________
Website Owner
Home Hydroponic Systems
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-12-2009, 06:22 AM
Harlequin Harlequin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
Sounds like you live in Arizona where I live, if so just wait tell summer (June-September) .
Other side of the world . Brisbane Australia. Its currently 19c - 32c today and we are coming into Summer. Summer is 26 - 34c but high humidity and lots of storms so not as hard on the plants.

Yesterday was the first bit of rain we have had in 8-10 weeks. Everything is brown and dead . We also have hardcore water restrictions (140l per person per day including showers, cooking, washing and no watering your garden, washing your car etc.) that make it impossible to irrigate. It was a big reason for me to start the hydro. The soil here is really very very good but I'm not allowed to use the water.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-12-2009, 06:35 AM
Harlequin Harlequin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 25
Talking

Updated pics... I'm really happy with how everything has done - tomato has its first fruit and the chilli has like 100 buds on it. Lettuces are coming up nicely as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009_10_12-2164.jpg
Views:	1246
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	85   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009_10_12-2165.jpg
Views:	1290
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	86   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009_10_12-2166.jpg
Views:	1191
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	87   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009_10_12-2167.jpg
Views:	1199
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	88   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009_10_12-2168.jpg
Views:	1191
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	89  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2009_10_12-2169.jpg
Views:	1231
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	90   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009_10_12-2170.jpg
Views:	1225
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	91   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009_10_12-2171.jpg
Views:	1280
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	92   Click image for larger version

Name:	2009_10_12-2172.jpg
Views:	1185
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	93  
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-09-2009, 02:47 AM
GpsFrontier GpsFrontier is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lake Havasu AZ.
Posts: 1,855
Default

OK, when you mentioned that they were on your deck I thought it sounded familiar. How are the plants doing? Do you have any new pictures?
__________________
Website Owner
Home Hydroponic Systems
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-09-2009, 06:57 PM
Harlequin Harlequin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 25
Default

I'll bring some new pics in tomorrow. Lettuce plants have grown heaps - they produce more than we can eat. Tomato plant is now about 4ft tall and I have expanded the green kits and have added another tomato and then grown from seed pumpkin, chilli, capsicum, zuchinni and eggplant. Waiting to sprout are peas and runner beans.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-09-2009, 09:59 PM
GGM GGM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 70
Default

hey what are those "troughs" you are using? Are they maxi trunkings for electrical wiring? I havent been able to find any pvc fence posts or pvc down pipes in my country so am wondering what you are using?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-10-2009, 03:05 AM
Harlequin Harlequin is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 25
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGM View Post
hey what are those "troughs" you are using? Are they maxi trunkings for electrical wiring? I havent been able to find any pvc fence posts or pvc down pipes in my country so am wondering what you are using?
They are actually specific hydroponic troughs that my local hydro store carries. $2 per meter. Also came with end caps, one set that are solid and 1 set that have a 1.5" drain hole at the end. If you were to look at them in profile they have a slight vee in them that moves the nutrient to the center of the channel.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.