Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

water level


 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #7  
Old 07-05-2009, 01:58 AM
GpsFrontier GpsFrontier is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lake Havasu AZ.
Posts: 1,855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinamon View Post
okay... so the water level should be around the same spot as where the seed was. i cant wait to get these darn books from amazon so i can start reading. thanks again.
If you are starting from seeds I would suggest that you don't put them in that system until they get bigger. The grow rock wont be able able to keep the seeds in place and will most likely just wash away. You can use small rockwool cubes inserted in the grow rocks to keep this from happening. This would work but nutrients are expensive and you would need to mix a lot of nutrients in the time it will take seeds to go from seeds to about 2 inches tall. Probably about a month and that would be just a waist of money to me. If you are on a budget like I am I would just start them in potting soil, then when it comes time to transplant just carefully wash off the potting soil from the roots. All my hydroponic plants I got from home Depot in soil, then washes the soil off before transplanting. This doesn't hurt them but you should be careful with them.

I need to look it up to find out the name of the system that you plan on using but I have come across a few pictures that might give you some ideas. I call it a floating system because the most common way of doing it that I know of is inserting the baskets in Styrofoam and just floating the Styrofoam in the nutrient solution. You can easily change the height of the baskets by changing the thickness of the Styrofoam. In these pictures you can see a homemade system as well as a commercially built system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aat-hervey-bay-2007-008 s.jpg
Views:	1487
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	58   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hydroponics 0042.jpg
Views:	1487
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	59  
__________________
Website Owner
Home Hydroponic Systems
Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.