Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Advice needed on a root vegtable system


 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #4  
Old 10-12-2009, 05:34 AM
GpsFrontier GpsFrontier is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lake Havasu AZ.
Posts: 1,855
Default

Yes, I probably should have mentioned that perlite and/or vermiculite would be a bad choice for a ebb & flow (flood and drain) system. They float like Styrofoam, and the first time you flood the system it would all overflow out of the container. Though for the drip system I was thinking of it would be fine. I like what Luches had said about "coarse Sand and fine Gravel" even for a drip system because of cost. Where I live I need to drive 3 1/2 hours to get to the nearest hydroponics store. Buying online and shipping all that growing media to me is a killer, about $10 of product equals about $10 shipping most from places. Growing a plant for root vegetables and considering all the growing media required for root vegetables, that is a good idea. Using a drip system you can mix them all without the floating problem.
__________________
Website Owner
Home Hydroponic Systems
Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.