Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Basic DWC starter


 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #7  
Old 05-13-2011, 06:55 PM
halfway halfway is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 79
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkcom View Post
I'm starting up my first hydroponic setup. I was planning on doing an aeroponic setup first, but was convinced by the guy over at Frugal Hydroponics that a DWC system would be significantly easier to get started.

The System:
2 10 gallon totes from Lowes - $14 ($7 ea)
1 can of primer spray paint - $3
1 can of black paint - cheapo - $1
1 can of glossy white paint - cheapo brand - $1
2 12" air stones - $5 each i think
1 40 gph air pump - $20 (cheaper if i'd do it from ebay or amazon)
12 3.5in grow cups - $6
Total so far: $50

Other plans:
2 bulb 4' long t8 fixture - $18 from lowes (still need to check price at home depot, i'd prefer a t5)
2 bulbs - $12
Nylon ropes to hold up the fixture and hooks to hold up the lights (not sure price)
Total after: $90 or $100

Not bad. I plan on adding the lights on next paycheck so my wife doesn't get mad .

I also bought some rockwool from a local hydroponic store, will probably buy online next time.

Just getting started, but figured I'd start a thread here. I do plan on making a quick site to show the logs and track results. I'm interested in ideas .

Hey! I know that guy!!

Best of success to you. It has worked well for me and I have no real changes in the immediate future.

If you intend on any type of flowering plant, spend the money on T5 system and a couple red spectrum bulbs. Once I relocate and build the greenhouse / hoophouse, I will add T5 to the system.

Best of success!
Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks

Tags
dwc, frugal, simple


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.