Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponic Nutrients and Mediums
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cleaning grow rocks

Old 06-10-2009, 03:06 AM

Default Cleaning grow rocks

I have tried to clean my grow rocks using a diluted bleach water solution and brushed them around with a big brush. There is still a white lime looking residue on some of them that doesn't seem to come off. Just wondering if anyone knows a good way to clean this off using stuff found around the house?

Old 12-06-2009, 12:56 PM

I used a heavy bleach solution to wash my Hydrotom clay beads, then rinse like crazy and they seem fine. But, I also have only used distilled water in my setups thus far and haven't really had any white residue to deal with. I know if I used my Well water I would as everything in my house gets a white buildup.
I would suggest CLR, but I don't think that would be safe in the long run.
I have heard of people baking their beads or even doing it in the B.B.Q. because they weren't really happy with the smell. Not sure if that would help with your issue either, but might be worth a try with a small mount of them.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:28 PM

Just out of curiosity are we talking about this "white residue" being more like hard water stains or something...or are we perhaps looking at more like a salt residue/build up from the nutrients?

If it's the later you could perhaps try using an organic nutrient instead as I believe the organics won't have any of the salt buildup. I don't use organic nutrients (yet anyways) and you can see I have this buildup around the lid of one of my containers where the nutrient solution gets from time to time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0426.JPG
Views:	755
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	292  
Old 12-06-2009, 05:15 PM

I started this thread a long time ago and hadn't received any reply's, so I e-mailed my question to General Hydroponics a day or two later. They told me this white residue was from the salt buildup. Also that the bleach solution would sanitize the grow rocks but wont get rid of the salt buildup. They also said that the only thing that will get rid of it was the FloraKleen, I didn't know if that was just a sales pitch or not, but had nothing else to go on. I also thought about using CLR but didn't (and still don't) want to risk the plants and grow rocks on untested products because there may be chemicals that cant be washed out in these that will be toxic to the plants.
Quote:
Just out of curiosity are we talking about this "white residue" being more like hard water stains or something...or are we perhaps looking at more like a salt residue/build up from the nutrients?
Although you get residue from water (especially hard water) I believe it's basically the same thing. Although with nutrients there are many more elements in it to build up, and may also be different colors depending on what elements are building up exactly. I attached the same pictures that I e-mailed to General Hydroponics with my question.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9100.jpg
Views:	778
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	296   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9101.jpg
Views:	779
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	297   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9102.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	298   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_9103.jpg
Views:	797
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	299  
Old 12-06-2009, 06:10 PM

I plan to buy some FloraKleen this year also.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:30 PM

wouldn't a weak acid remove it? maybe drop a few clay pallets in a bowl of vinegar and see what happens.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
I started this thread a long time ago and hadn't received any reply's, so
I'm slowly trying to make my way through the topics.
Old 12-25-2009, 07:02 PM

I just got done cleaning about 7 gallons of Hydroton. UGG. But it's cheaper than replacing it.