Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Your Hydroponics Setup
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Steep Learning Curve

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-16-2011, 03:00 PM

Smile Steep Learning Curve

Hi All,
I had a small soil garden last summer, and at the end of summer played with a tub of solution and a bubbler to grow a tomato plant, so I知 new to gardening and very new to hydroponics. To make a long story short, I ended up with four 4x8ft trays, three75 gal and one 100 gal. res., 150 four in sq cups, and 100 six in. pots w/ net bottoms, three pumps and one air pump.
So with almost no money I decided to put together a hydroponic greenhouse. I started with $30 of wood off Craig痴 list and an old metal frame, built tables and a frame and covered w/$100 GH film. Next I added an old box fan and a thermostat w/ louver vent, and a vent at the opposite end w/ auto opener, plus one additional fan for circulation. Being outdoors I added fish tank heaters and air pumps for each tank. (I may not need the air pumps being ebb and flow). I have been running the pumps for ス hr six times a day. Due to night temps going down to 42 degrees on cold nights, I added two more night cycles because the solution temp is 72 degrees and keeps the roots warm.
In the first tray I知 using half clay and half perlite and a lid w/ cutouts for 4in cups. Two more trays have 6 in pots w/ clay and perlite covered w/ panda film. The last tray is also 6in pots w/ all clay and panda. The first tray I知 growing lettuce, onions, herbs, and chard. The next two trays (only one tray growing so far) are peppers, peas, beans, cucumber, egg plant , carrots, and radishes. The last tray has 14 tomato plants. I知 now planting some more pole beans, lemon cucumber, spinach, and squash.
Except for a small light for starting, all is being grown w/o lights. I知 using Pure Blend Pro (7-10 ml/gal) and the seeds were started Jan 1st. After six weeks the first heads of lettuce are big and taste wonderful. Next will be sugar peas and radishes.
Being new I'm open to all comments.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1510.jpg
Views:	652
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	999   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1512.jpg
Views:	673
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	1000   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1484.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	1001   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1483.jpg
Views:	669
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1002  

Last edited by gardenmark; 02-16-2011 at 07:53 PM.