Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

pH Down chemical

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-04-2011, 10:08 AM

Default pH Down chemical

I am researching and would like to know if any one uses sodium bisulfate to lower the PH?
second does this have any affect on the plants to absorb fertilizer?
third how does this chemical react with fertilizers?

I am using flora nova grow 7-4-10 and my experimental station has 42 plants in it. I really do not want to destroy 42 plants. So I would like to know if anyone has some facts on this.

This is from Wikipedia

Sodium bisulfate, also known as sodium hydrogen sulfate (NaHSO4), is an acid salt. It is a dry granular product that can be safely shipped and stored. The anhydrous form is hygroscopic. Solutions of sodium bisulfate are acidic, with a 1M solution having a pH of < 1.
Sodium bisulfate is used primarily to lower pH. For technical grade applications it is used in metal finishing, cleaning products, and to lower the pH of water for effective chlorination, including swimming pools. Sodium bisulfate is also AAFCO approved as a general use feed additive, including companion animal food. It is used as a urine acidifier to reduce urinary stones in cats. Sodium bisulfate is considered GRAS (Generally Recognized As Safe) by FDA[1] and meets their definition of a natural product. The food grade product meets the requirements set out in the Food Chemicals Codex (FCC). It is denoted by E number E514ii in the EU. Food Grade sodium bisulfate is used in a variety of food products, including beverages, dressings, sauces, and fillings. It is also widely used in meat and poultry processing and most recently in browning prevention of fresh cut produce.

In jewelry making, sodium bisulfate is the primary ingredient used in many pickling solutions to remove the oxidation layer from surfaces, which occurs after heating.[2]