Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

275 gal totes

Old 08-11-2011, 10:46 PM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a
Default 275 gal totes

So I have been looking for some used 275 gal totes to start some aquaponics and right down the street from me are 2 sitting out with a sign that say $75 and a phone number. I talked to my husband and we decided to try and get one to start with eventhough it is a really good price. I called the guy and asked what was in it and he replies roundup. So I was like, that is not going to work for me because I want to use it for aquaponics and this old guy says "come again". So I try to explain over the phone what that is and what hydroponics is and the man thinks I have lost it. Anyway he says that he has cleaned them out and they are clean with no residue because it dosen't smell like roundup anymore. AND anyway if there was some, It wouldn't be enough to hurt my plants or fish and I can always wash it out some more. I told him I would call him back, I was just too tired to explain anymore.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	275_gallon_tote_large1.jpg
Views:	1527
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	1489  
Old 08-11-2011, 11:12 PM

Would you have to paint the outsides black? To help keep algae from growing. I know the basic's of Aquaponic's.

LOL as rough of a time as i've had with my tomato plant's. The fish would be belly up in a day.......

Would love to have one of those tho for a nutrient tank.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:55 PM

Ya, I get that type of thing all the time. It seems that 90% of the population dosen't know what hydroponics is, or thinks the only crop you can grow that way is pot. I will be looking for 3 of those water storage containers in about a month myself. I just got good news today. My mom wanted me to go to the bank to see about a SBA loan to see about getting the start up money for my hydroponic herb farm, even though there is no way I could ever get a loan (bad credit, don't ask, long, long, long story, just trust me). But after talking to them anyway, we decided opening a business "credit card" would get me the line of credit I need, and be much easier on the red tape. So my mom decided she's going to open the business credit card with me on the account. So I should have access to the money soon, possibly even be able to get started in just a few weeks.

Each level of the herb farm hydroponic system is going to have it's own 250+ gallon in-ground reservoir. I just hope I'll be able to find 3 of them locally when I have the money (otherwise shipping would be more than the containers). There were 3 in Kingman (1 1/2 hour drive away) for $150 ea a month ago. I will need to hit up some local business that use them to see if they have used ones their willing to sell.

P.S.
Whats the dimensions on that? 275 divided by 7.48 (gallons per cubic foot) =36.76 cubic feet. Seems to work out to about 3 feet by 4 feet. .
Old 08-12-2011, 12:43 AM

that is awesome news on the start up. I look forward to seeing your progress on that if you want to share it with us. I am hoping to get something started here, I don't thik it will be herbs completely. I haven't decided yet what I am wanting to work on. I guess I will have to work the market here and see what will sell. The vegetables here don't taste right at all, so i think that I might try to set up a vegetable selling shop to let people remember what real produce tastes like again.
Old 08-12-2011, 02:32 AM

Location: Southeast Washington State - Right on the line of growing zones 6b & 7a

Per the website "A 275 gallon used food grade, water tote/container with a 8" bung on top & a 2" threaded valve on the bottom. Length is 48", width is 39" and height is 46"." Arizona barrels sells them used "food grade" for $150

I saw a few people use this set up on youtube

Last edited by fintuckyfarms; 08-12-2011 at 02:36 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:06 AM

Yes, I'm very excited about it. I guess my mom's tired of hearing about my plans, and just wants me to get it going already. I know I will have a hard time sleeping tonight with my mind going a mile a minute. I need to call the lady at the bank in the morning to set up a time to go come in in the afternoon to fill out the paperwork for the trade name (needed for the business card). Herbs isn't my first choice, but it will give me the best profit for the square footage I have to work with in the beginning. Within a year I expect to be able to expand into other produce like peppers, strawberry's, tomato's, melons, specialty lettuce etc. as well. The herbs are just a starting point. I like taking a lot of pictures, and defiantly plan to share the build and experience in the forum.

Thanks fintuckyfarms, I expected them to be about 4 feet wide, but was hoping they would be taller than wider (like 3 feet wide and 4 feet tall). I will still look for them locally in town first, but if I need to the Arizona barrels is an option. Their in Glendale (right next to phoenix, about 5-6 hour drive), not sure how much delivery will be but I'm sure it would be over $100. But if I need to it's an option.

They'll be buried in the ground so 4 feet deep is a good size anyway. I will be altering them a bit. First I'll hot glue the the bottom opening to seal it shut for good, it will be 4 feet deep in the ground and I wont be able to get to it if it were to leak. Then I'll cut an opening in the top large enough for me to reach all the way in for cleaning. I'll use the part that I cut out as the new lid, then put a rim and handle on it so it fits flush but still lifts off easily for easy access. I'll create a boarder around the in-ground reservoir with pressure treated wood, or composite decking boards (I forget what the composite stuff is called right now). Then I'll cut a piece of 2 inch thick Styrofoam to fit above the reservoir, and glue it to a OSB board for a lid. Completely insulating it in the ground. I can draw up an image if anyone wants (I know it helps to visualize things sometimes).

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 08-12-2011 at 05:20 AM.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:03 AM

Hey Guys,

We can get them locally in my neck of the woods usually via Craigslist. Thinking about picking one or two up myself. Here is a local website with dimensions for you...

https://sites.google.com/site/drumsandtotes/totes

Hey GPS, see if you can find "Marine Goop", or research a good food grade silicon sealer. Hot glue normally wont stand up over time on plastic under water. Don't ask me how I know ... I know....oh how I know...

Todd