Hydroponics Online Home Home Store Blog Forums FAQs Lesson Plans Pictures

Go Back   Hydroponics Forums Discussions > Hydroponics Discussion Forums > Hydroponics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2014, 03:01 PM

Default Newbie

Wanting to try strawberries in a a-frame setup basically a NFT system. What would be the best nutrient for strawberries? And what would be the best medium for them?

Old 07-01-2014, 02:07 PM

As an experienced strawberry grower, I am glad to answer your question here. Let me tell you the most interesting thing about these plants is that they give you several hints when they require fertilizers.

If your plants have begun to give clues such as pale leaves or immature fruits, you can maintain them using natural compost. Why you should prefer compost to commercial fertilizers is because they are organic and contain decomposed leaves and plant materials that are good for plant growth. Also, if leaves still remain yellowish, consider using a quality nutrient additive such as golden Tree. You’ll notice the difference after just a few days of use.
Old 07-01-2014, 07:05 PM

DanHass,
This is a Hydroponics forum. We grow plants hydroponically, not in soil. The growing medium in hydroponics doesn't have any nutritional value for the plants. It's designed that way because the plants get all their nutrition from the balanced nutrient solution. Mixing soil in a hydroponic system disturbs the balance of those nutrients, leading to nutrient toxicities.

creedua,
I prefer using coco chips almost always as a growing media. For the nutrients I would use the Verti-gro nutrients.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:05 AM

Hi, in my husband's province in the Philippines specifically Tagaytay there are lot of lettuce grown hydroponically. Whenever we visit I always buy it and seems it's more fresh and crunchy for me.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:14 AM

Caelan Ware,
I'm sure it does. Their are a lot of benefits to growing hydroponically. Taste and flavor are just two among many.
Old 07-27-2014, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
DanHass,
This is a Hydroponics forum. We grow plants hydroponically, not in soil. The growing medium in hydroponics doesn't have any nutritional value for the plants. It's designed that way because the plants get all their nutrition from the balanced nutrient solution. Mixing soil in a hydroponic system disturbs the balance of those nutrients, leading to nutrient toxicities.

creedua,
I prefer using coco chips almost always as a growing media. For the nutrients I would use the Verti-gro nutrients.
Golden tree is a hydroponic nutrient GPS
Old 07-27-2014, 07:53 AM

It's true that I am not familiar with any nutrients called 'Golden tree" (and still don't). However that wasn't what lead me to the conclusion that they were talking about growing in soil. There were three statements that lead me to believe that:

1. "using natural compost" (that's not a nutrient solution)
2. "Why you should prefer compost to commercial fertilizers" (again compost is an amendment, not a nutrient solution. even as a compost tea that was never mentioned)
3. "consider using a quality nutrient additive" (a nutrient additive isn't a replacement for a nutrient solution, it's an amendment even in soil)

Last edited by GpsFrontier; 07-27-2014 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GpsFrontier View Post
It's true that I am not familiar with any nutrients called 'Golden tree" (and still don't). However that wasn't what lead me to the conclusion that they were talking about growing in soil. There were three statements that lead me to believe that:

1. "using natural compost" (that's not a nutrient solution)
2. "Why you should prefer compost to commercial fertilizers" (again compost is an amendment, not a nutrient solution. even as a compost tea that was never mentioned)
3. "consider using a quality nutrient additive" (a nutrient additive isn't a replacement for a nutrient solution, it's an amendment even in soil)
You may want to read about the Golden Tree product before you commenting then.